{

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The night decision

Half of our life is spent in figuring out what next; what next after school, and then after college. What next after achieving the dream job  and then the story continues until in the other half you realize what not could have be done instead of worrying.  The worst part is when you exactly know what should be done next, and you are helpless due to many other insignificant factors.

You wish to go a solo trip, but parents think that is too outward. You wish to cut your hair short but that isn't traditional, you might wish to marry the guy you love, but then he isn't a Brahman. You love the job you do, but you have night shifts. By the time you make your decision after the entire filtering process you are unsure of your own decisions.

For me when the recruiter said this is going to a job profile where you cannot expect a comfortable 8 am to 5 pm soar your legs type of job, I was only excited. I did not know this had more challenges than the technical ones. The Gupta Aunty wondered if I work in a BPO since I went to office at odd hours, Chotu asked if I have the funky Headset like they have in the call centers, and the girl on the second floor decided not to work in IT Company just because she has seen me working in odd shifts.

At a workplace where you know you love the job , you are sure you will be safe and sound until you reach home, moreover you are happy at what you are doing  , Why should the  ‘night shift taboo’ affect your decision.

The day, I realized I have to occasionally work in night shifts, I was terrified as well.  For me people worked during nights were the call center public. An Engineer hardly does. But thanks to the idea of outsourcing and we will work for any country attitude of our fellowmen, night shifts are cool. 

My mom was worried what it would do to my health, my dad worried the safety and both worried about the girl working in night shift taboo.  I knew if I denied this opportunity they might assign me a day project, but I could have missed something I really wanted to learn. I might not be able to practically witness what I had learnt in the technical books.   I decided now when I have the freedom to choose, and experiment I should try this. It might turn out to be a not so good decision, but I would hardly lose anything. And here I am writing this post after a good day of sleep after returning from my last night shift of this month


Sometimes once or twice in a month I have to do the 10 pm -7 am shifts. I do agree it is not advised to work regularly in this timing; however one should at least try it once in life. For working at peace without your boss around is a fortune indeed. When you work in night shift you make friends with the canteen guy, the receptionist, realize that the vending machine is your best friend and the half hour nap break is heaven. That feeling of returning home at the comfort of your cab when others rush to get the 8.58 train is indeed one worth the devilish smile. 

Sometimes, taking risks to take your own decision is not bad at all .Just like the one you will find it here



Disclaimer :  These are solely my views, Your views may contradict mine. That's okay . After all we all have own unique viewpoints.

2 comments:

  1. Anything that would make you happy is worth trying. I am happy that you took the risk and you are not regretting.
    Our society is changing its mindset. Thanks to our parents for letting us chase our dreams... And contributing to the change.
    Good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete